Hardship Grants #
Purpose of award: To support active maintainers of the Rust Project who are facing financial hardship.
Award amount: $500 to $1,500.
Application window: Open continuously.
Selection decisions and applicants informed of the outcome: Within 5 working days of application submission.
We understand that members of the Rust community may suffer from financial hardship from time to time, which can lead to food and accommodation insecurity. The Hardship Grants programme is aimed at providing short-term financial support to those active maintainers of the Rust Project most in need of help.
- Applicants will be able to apply for amounts of between $500 and $1,500 USD.
- Individuals will be eligible for a maximum of two Hardship Grants in a calendar year.
- Hardship Grants are available to individuals who contribute significantly to the Rust Project and who have urgent financial insecurity.
- Out of respect for recipients, we will keep all details of Hardship Grant awards private.
- A budget of $15,000 has been allocated to Hardship Grants for 2022.
Due to the sensitive nature of the circumstances surrounding Hardship Grants, prospective applicants will not be required to complete an application form. If you would like to apply for a Hardship Grant then please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Hardship Grant Application” telling us about yourself and your situation, including details of your contributions to the Rust Project. The Foundation staff team will then arrange a call with you to talk through your circumstances in more detail.
Hardship Grant applications will be reviewed and selected by the Rust Foundation staff team. By exception, we might reach out to Rust Foundation Directors or members of the Project Teams for their advice, but only if we have your consent to do so.
We will aim to make a decision regarding a Hardship Grant within 5 working days of receiving an application.
All Hardship Grant applicants must ensure that they are able to receive financial transfers from the USA. Details can be found here of the restrictions to such transactions.
Full Eligibility and Selection Criteria